So you want to how to start a blog? Here is a resource which can help you in the process of doing just that.
Don’t wait. Today is your day to start a blog! Put things on hold for the next 20 minutes and follow these three steps below. You’ll be up and running with your own blog before you know it.
THE THREE STEPS TO STARTING A BLOG:
- Domain Name and Hosting
- Installing WordPress
- Making it look nice
1) DOMAIN NAME AND HOSTING
This part is fun!
What do you want your domain name to be?
Ours is bloggingtitan.com, and Total Festivals. Here’s what worked for us –> Brainstorm as many different ideas as possible, come up with something catchy, not too obvious, not too wordy and not too cliche. Once you’ve thought of some possible names, go and see if your domain name is available by entering it in the box that looks like this:
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links and we will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. We have used all of the products listed below and recommend them because they are helpful and are companies that we trust.
Once you’ve decided your name you’ll need some web hosting. Web hosting is just like renting some space on the internet to put your website/blog. TSOhost has great rates, has great services and Tsohost gives you a free domain if you host with them through their Professional Cloud Hosting package.
Secret: Use Ultimate Cloud Hosting as the basis for multiple websites. One hosting account, can host up to 100 websites.
If you’re asked to pick your plan level I’d suggest the Standard Plan, which can be paid in one lump sum instead of monthly, and it’ll save you quite a bit of money.
Choose the Standard Cloud Hosting package and pay for two years to maximize savings.
2) INSTALLING WORDPRESS
Once you’ve completed registration with TSOhost you’ll need to go through the process of installing WordPress.
WordPress is a blogging software. It’s the software that I use for onlinecreators.co.uk. The best part is that it’s SUPER easy to use and it’s also super easy to install on your website. BINGO. It’s also the software used by more websites that any other on the internet today. The best part of all is that it’s super easy to use and it’s also super easy to install on your website. Here’s how:
find the Website Control Panel (gridhost) section. Login. Click on the WordPress logo.
Here’s how: Login to Tsohost and click add a new website.
Now enter in your domain.
Now select Linux
Let’s go and install WordPress, click Install Applications.
Last but not least, click Install.
Once you get the message that says “Your install is complete!” you’ll want to click on the “View Credentials” button and write down your Admin URL, Username, and Password. You can change these to something more memorable later, but you’ll need them for your first time logging in. Type your Admin URL into your web browser. You’ll see a login screen like the one below. Enter your Username and Password you copied down from the previous step.
You’ve officially logged into your blog. Congratulations! You now have started a blog.
3) MAKING YOUR BLOG LOOK NICE
At this point, you officially have your own blog! Well done! How does it feel? Welcome to the to this amazing world! You’re just minutes away from sharing your stuff! Before you jump into blogging there are a few things you can do to add a bit of magic to your blog. It is now time to pick your theme! It’s time to pick your WordPress theme. WordPress has lots of free themes to pick from. If you’re looking for a premium theme (which we recommend) then check out these options:
- The Thesis Theme (DIY themes) – are great for a first-time blog. Thesis Skins from DIYthemes are one of the most optimised website frameworks available today.
- Elegant Themes – We think Elegant Themes is awesome, their themes are easy to use, and they have quite a few different options. It’s also a bit cheaper than the other premium themes listed here. Check them out and see what you think. (heads up this blog runs a theme from Elegant Themes called DIVI).
- ThemeForest – ThemeForest contains a huge selection of WordPress Themes. We would recommend starting here at the Popular WordPress Themes.
- MH Themes – they developed some of the most popular magazine themes for WordPress. Great for bloggers, journalists, editors or SEO experts.
If you need any help setting up your blog send us a tweet: @bloggingtitan
Latest posts by Jacob Whitmore (see all)
- The 10 Basics of Blogging Search Engine Optimisation - May 5, 2017
- How to Find More Content Ideas than You’ll Ever be Able to Create - May 2, 2017
- 10 Pro Tips For Beginner Bloggers - March 5, 2017